Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Questions about death

I heard death knocking at my door. I wasn’t surprised: I had the gun already coked inside my mouth.

So I pulled the trigger, but it didn’t fire.

I couldn’t understand, and death kept knocking even though the door was unlocked.

I went to open, and there she was – she?... he?... well, let’s say “it”, and call it even – there it was, standing in front of the door.

I told it to come in, but it hadn’t come to get me – who, then? I wonder, there was no one else home, and I was the one with the gun on his mouth.

But death didn’t answer, just stood there, waiting for something, so I started arguing and screaming at it, hoping it would decide to take me.

Death kept quiet, so I got frustrated, I screamed louder and tossed the gun to the floor, so I could use my fists to punch it.

Then it happened: the gun went off as soon as it hit the ground, and the bullet flew directly into death’s heart – Death had a heart? I would have never imagined that –, I had killed death – That’s a new one: Who would’ve figured that death could die? It makes no sense, but I did it –, so now I had to figure out what to do with its body.

I decided to chop it into little pieces and keep them on the fridge, and just get rid of a few pieces at a time.

As I was cutting, I realized it had no blood – Why the hell would death have a heart if it had no blood to pump with it? And, If it’s heart didn’t pump blood, Why would be fatal being shot through it? I couldn’t answer that, but death was dead for sure.

Once I filled the fridge, I thought it wouldn’t hurt anybody if I had a little fun, so I donned death’s costume and went on a rampage through the city, terrorizing anyone who dared to cross my path. But nobody died.

In fact, a long time has passed since that day, and still, nobody has died… And I’m not talking about my joyrides in death’s costume, I’m telling you that absolutely no one has died since that day. People keeps aging, kids keep being born… It is not a pretty sight: an overcrowded world filled with people who has already arrived to the 200+ years of age, especially since our bodies started malfunctioning when we were in our late 80’s – although some kept fit well into their 90’s, but those are exceptions –. Hospitals are filled, nursing homes overcrowded, food supplies don’t last… and nobody dies because death is not there to take us anymore.

And now, lying here on my bed, there’s only one more question which keeps me awake every night, looking for its answer: Who took death, if death wasn’t there to take it when I killed it?

No comments: